SmartLaw is proud to serve underrepresented communities in need with limited pro bono referrals in the area of cannabis business representation.
Attorneys interested in participating on this panel who are LACBA Cannabis Section members will receive an annual SmartLaw dues waiver, applicable only to the Cannabis Pro Bono Panel.
In addition to current Errors and Omissions insurance, State Bar of California membership, and agreement with the SmartLaw rules of operation, candidates must meet the following experience requirements:
Within the past three (3) years, the attorney must have completed at least five (5) cannabis-specific MCLE hours. Additionally, the attorney must have performed legal work and prepared or supervised the preparation of all papers in connection with at least four (4) of the following categories:
(1) Incorporation of at least one domestic corporation including issuance of corporate shares, preparation of the articles of incorporation, bylaws and related documents;
(2) Formation of at least one limited liability company, or limited or general partnership;
(3) Drafting and/or negotiation of at least one operating agreement concerning an entity’s ownership, allocation of profits, management control and voting rights;
(4) Dissolution of one domestic corporation, or notice to creditors of a bulk transfer;
(5) Drafting and/or negotiation of at least one agreement concerning the sale of assets of a business or the stock of a corporation;
(6) Drafting and/or negotiation of at least one stock redemption or buy-sell agreement;
(7) Drafting and/or negotiation of at least two (2) commercial leases; or
(8) At least one litigation or mediation of a landlord-tenant dispute.
The scope of pro bono services provided under this panel are as follows:
(1) Draft, revise or provide advice concerning entity formation, articles of incorporation, bylaws, operating agreements, and related documents;
(2) Draft, revise or provide advice concerning Equity Share compliance, as described in Los Angeles Municipal Code Sec. 104.20;
(3) Draft, revise or provide advice concerning commercial leases;
(4) General advice regarding the City of Los Angeles’ Cannabis Procedures Ordinance and other related laws and regulations.
(5) Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA) considerations.
Note, attorneys’ fees collected in relation to referred matters outside of the scope of these services will be subject to percentage fees under the SmartLaw Rules of Operation.
For more information about the SmartLaw Cannabis Pro Bono Panel, please contact SmartLaw by sending email or calling 213-896-6476.
SmartLaw is a public service of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. SmartLaw is a certified Lawyer Referral Service. State Bar of California certification number: 042. SmartLaw is certified to refer cases to lawyers in the following counties: Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura.